Results of a new study by researchers from the US find that over time patients diagnosed with the west nile virus fully recover.
Symptoms that are associated with the virus are similar to the flu and include, dizziness, fever, fatigue and difficulty moving.
According to experts, patients infected with the virus, usually the young, old or those with compromised immune systems, generally may show these symptoms for a long time but after a year they are usually symptom free.
The virus is transmitted to people from mosquito bites. Mosquitoes, contract the virus from feeding off the bodies of dead birds who carry it.
Ways of limiting your risk of being bitten by a west nile carrying mosquito include:
– Wearing long pants and shirts when outside
– Wearing bug spray when outside
– Staying indoors during dawn and dusk
– Removing standing water from around your home
– Insuring that your window screens are properly secured.